•  Pirate's Level:
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Alienated

Maximizing Guts, Guile, and Grit: A Mathematician's Perspective

Introduction

Guts, Guiles, and Grit: these 3 stats bring a whole new element of strategy to the Circus Maximus arena; they can either net in a crucial victory for you, or evaporate early enough to bring you to the brink of defeat. With stats as important as these, one wonders how to obtain them; and through this guide, we're going to use the wonders of mathematics to learn just how far you can take these stats!

Before we move on, I must warn you that this guide will be using mathematical analyses, and plenty of them.

Training the 3 Gs

Guts, Guiles, and Grit can be trained through the following pet activities:

Cable Springs (Skull Island): +5 Guts / -1 Guile / -3 Grit
    Line Splicing (Skull Island): -2 Guts / +5 Guile / -2 Grit
    Crab Walk (Skull Island): -3 Guts / -1 Guile / +5 Grit

Mambo (Monquista):
    +10 Guts / -2 Guile / -6 Grit
    Flamenco (Monquista): -4
    Guts
    / +10 Guile / -4 Grit
    Rumba (Monquista):
    -6 Guts / -2 Guile / +10 Grit

Serpent Strike (Mooshu): +15 Guts / -3 Guile / -9 Grit
    Dragon Dance (Mooshu): -6 Guts
    /
    +15 Guile / -6 Grit
    Iron Fist (Mooshu):
    -9 Guts / -3 Guile / +15 Grit

Lunges (Marleybone): +20 Guts / -4 Guile / -12 Grit
    Jumping Jacks (Marleybone): -8
    Guts
    / +20 Guile / -8 Grit
    Crunches (Marleybone):
    -12 Guts / -4 Guile / +20 Grit

Notice how all training activities only increase one stat and decrease the other two; this fact will become extremely important later on. But first, let's get down to business.

Revenues and Expenses

While I was at college, there was one question that I've pondered quite often: how do you maximize profits? There are a plethora of ways to do that, but for the purpose of this guide, let's just stick with these two factors: revenues and expenses.

Revenues are the amount of money earned while operating a business. Simply put, you earn revenues through selling products, performing services, contract work, etc.

Expenses are the amount of money lost while operating a business. Examples of expenses are product cost, bills, rent, employees, etc.

When you put your revenues and expenses together, you'll have your profit, which can either be positive or negative. So how does all this relate to pet training? Let's say that you send your pet off to do the Cable Springs activity: the Guts boost (+5) is your revenue, while the Guile (-1) and Grit (-3) loss are your expenses; at the end of the activity, your pet will be gaining 5 in revenues and losing 4 in total expenses, meaning that your net profit is a measly 1. That doesn't sound very appealing.

Now to turn back to the original question: how do you maximize profits? There are two ways to do this in pet training:

1) Increase revenues. In the other worlds such as Marleybone, your pet can gain up to 20 points for one stat; but as a consequence, your pet will lose a total of 16 points between the two other stats. Those expense may seem very counterproductive, but at least you'll earn a net profit of 4, which is much higher than what you earn from the games in Skull Island.

2) Minimize expenses. While this may seem impossible give how pet activities work, this is actually very easy to do early on in your pet's training! If your pet is around Level 50 and their 3 Gs are 1 each, you can easily gain 20 points in one stat and practically lose nothing because the other two stats barely have anything to begin with. And if your pet isn't suffering any stat penalties whatsoever, then consider your net profit to be up to 20 points!

With that said, we come to the first step to maximizing the 3 Gs:
    Boost one stat all the way up to its limit first.

Even after you maximize one stat, you can still minimize your losses while working on your second. If your pet has maxed Guile and you want to work on Guts next, all you really need to do is keeping sending your pet to Lunges, because suffering -4 penalty is much better than taking a -12 penalty per activities.

Speaking of Guile,
    I always recommend training Guile first, because the penalties for Guile (up to -4) is significantly smaller than the penalties for the other 2 stats (up to -12).

Pushing the Limits Part I: Positives and Negatives

This is where we really start venturing deep into mathematical theories, so hold on tight!

First let's answer this question: Is it possible to completely max out Guts, Guile, and Grit?

Sadly, the answer is no. The reason for that is actually really simple: for each game, one of your stats are increased, while two of your stats are decreased. Even after you do your best to minimize your expenses early on, once you start working on your 3rd stat, there's virtually no way to prevent losing anything from your other two stats.

This basically means that
    you can only completely max out one stat, so please choose your favorite stat wisely!

Pushing the Limits Part II: Guile Goes With Everything

Even if you can't completely max out your Guts, Guile, and Grit all at once, all 3 of them can come very close to their max values! How in the Spiral is this possible?

Remember by quick suggestion about Guile from earlier? You can actually
    take advantage of Guile's minimal penalties to build up your Guts and Grit.

Let's say that your pet has 40 Guts, 60 Guile, and 40 Grit. We're going to be alternating between Lunges (+20 Guts) and Crunches (+20 Guiles); pay close attention to the Guile stat.

Start = 40 / 60 / 40
    Lunges #1 =
    60 / 56 / 28
    Crunches #1
    =
    48 / 52 / 48
    Lunges #2 =
    68 / 48 / 36
    Crunches #2 =
    56 / 44 / 56

While both Guts and Grit are oscillating between +20 and -12, Guile always goes down by -4 per activity. Even while Guts and Grit are improving tremendously, you can't let your Guile get too low. If you want to salvage as much of your Guile as possible, now would be the perfect time to do some Jumping Jacks.

Jumping Jacks =
    48 / 64 / 48

Let's stop here before the pet faints from exhaustion; I'll be sure to bring plenty of nutrient-rich snacks! Now let's do a comparison:

Before = 40 / 60 / 40
    After =
    48 / 64 / 48

Notice any improvement ? All thanks to Guile's small penalty, we were able to improve the pet's stat across the board! To be specific, the pet gained 20 in their stats overall after playing 5 activities, so on average the pet ultimately gained 4 in their stats per activity. Coincidentally, the net profit for one pet activity in Marleybone is 4 points. Interesting, eh?

You're going to need to think about your net profit eventually, because it's going to matter much more once you reach the home stretch.

Pushing the Limits Part III: One Small Step is a Giant Leap for Petkind

As all 3 of your pet's stats get closer to their limits, guile won't be enough to press forward. As I've stated before, you're going to need to
    think about your net profit before you start a pet activity.

For example: let's say your pet has 55/70 Guts. If you choose Lunges, be aware that you won't gain all 20 points because you're only 15 points away from maxing your Guts; this means that your revenue is 15. However, you must also be aware that you'll lose 4 Guile and 12 Grit, a net loss of 16. If you decide to go forward with Lunges, your pet's net profit is going to be -1; that's not very good.
    If your net profit turns out to be negative, try going for the pet activities from earlier worlds. You may not gain as much revenue as you used to, but luckily you won't incur as many penalties either. If you play Serpent Strike, you gain the full 15 points in Guts while only losing 12 total in your other stats; a net profit of 3 is much better than a net profit of -1.

Keep maintaining a positive net profit for your pets until you reach the very pinnacle of your training.

Pushing the Limits Part IV: The Final Stretch

At this point, your 3 Gs should be very, very close to their max values, and you're relying on the Skull Island activities to get as close as possible to your pet's limits. In this section, we're going to be discussing just what these limits are, and I'm going to be using mathematical analyses to prove it. If you don't want to read through it, please skip ahead to Part V.

First, let's address why you should be using Skull Island activities to finishing off your training. Unlike the activities in Marleybone, the penalties for Guts, Guile, and Grit are very small; they range from -1 to -3 depending on which activity you choose. Given that the penalties are always applied after completing every activity, this means that
    at least one stat will always be at least 3 points away from its maximum.

With that said, I also need to address a potential contradiction which might arise. Line Splicing only decreases Guts and Grit by 2 point; so in theory, this means that all stats could be within 2 points from reaching its max--but there's one fundamental problem. Let's say that all 3 Gs have a limit of 70: in order for a situation such as 68/70/68 to even occur, both Guts and Grit would need to be 70 before the activity; but that's 100% impossible, because as I've stated before: "you can only completely max out one stat".

So to recap: you'll know that you've maximized your stats if one stat is maxed and another stat is 3 points away from its cap. But what about the third stat? Come to think of it--what is the third stat?

Let's think this through: the quote "another stat is 3 points away from its cap" seems to imply that its either Guts or Grit, because Guile cannot be lowered by -3 from Skull Island activities. "One stat is maxed" also implies that an activity was already completed; so if Guts or Guile is being lowered by 3, then it's safe to say that Guts or Guile is being increased by 5. Therefore, the third stat is Guile, which is always lowered by 1 in Skull Island.

We're getting very close now! All we need to do now is turn our thinking around. Let's say that all of our pet's stats have limits of 70, and its Grit is maxed; this puts its Guts at 67. What about Guile?

Well, let's turn our thinking around. In order for this pet to have achieved 67/?/70, the pet must've played Crab Walk beforehand. If we think about what this pet's stats were before playing Crab Walk, it'd have to be 70/(?+1)/(65+). Knowing that Guile used to have an additional point, but also knowing that Guile and Guts can't be maxed at the same time, then this means that the pet's current Guile is at 68 or lower. I could go further and figure this out the long way, but I know for certain that the answer is 68--therefore:

Pushing the Limits Part V: The Journey Ends

If you're looking to maximize your stats as much as possible, then here are your goals:

If you want you to max out Guts:
    (Max Guts) / (Max Guile - 2) / (Max Grit - 3)
    If you want to max out Grit:
    (Max Guts - 3) / (Max Guile - 2) / (Max Grit)
    If you want to max out Guile, but would like some extra Guts:
    (Max Guts - 2) / (Max Guile) / (Max Grit - 5)
    If you want to max out Guile, but would like some extra Grit:
    (Max Guts - 5) / (Max Guile) / (Max Grit - 2)

You may encounter some negative net profits from your activities while going after these stats; but once you reach them, your pet will be tough competition in the arena!

Conclusion

Thank you for reading this guide; I most certainly hope that it'll help you maximize those stats if you ever wish to partake in Pet Sparring. Let's wrap things up by listing all of the important points throughout this guide highlighted in blue:

1)
    Boost one stat all the way up to its limit first
    2) I always recommend training Guile first
    3) Choose your favorite stat wisely!
    4) Take advantage of Guile's minimal penalties to build up your Guts and Grit
    5) Think about your net profit before you start a pet activity
    6) If your net profit turns out to be negative, try going for the pet activities from earlier worlds
    7) At least one stat will always be at least 3 points away from its maximum

This post contains 2 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.
    Last edited by Milt; 05-15-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    Dante Tolliver, Buccaneer (65) | Henri Devereaux, Swashbuckler (65) | Marcus Laverne, Musketeer (65)
    Dandy Sam Creighton, Witchdoctor (65) | Tyler Paisley, Privateer (65)

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Milt For This Useful Post:

~Onion Knight~ (06-21-2014),Alphawolf (08-25-2014),AzreeJul (05-15-2014),coolster50 (05-15-2014),Darkfyre (05-15-2014),Eric Stormbringer (05-16-2014),Good ol Lefty (05-15-2014),herddog (12-09-2015),KatDevereaux (06-23-2014),kawika (06-29-2014),Kestrel (05-31-2014),MaxDeGroot (05-30-2014),MorgrimGrime (09-09-2017),nesogra (05-16-2014),NinjaPikmin (05-15-2014),NumberCruncher (05-15-2014),Paige MoonShade (05-15-2014),RainbowEnchantress (05-25-2014),SamSkysailor (06-21-2014),sethowl (06-21-2014),ShadowPhoenix (06-21-2014),smvb (07-16-2016),SwashySwashBuckler (05-16-2014),Tunok (05-16-2014),WitchDoctor Webb (05-15-2014),Zenobia Paisley (05-15-2014)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: Maximizing Guts, Guile, and Grit: A Mathematician's Perspective

And here I thought *I* was a number cruncher.

Well done!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NumberCruncher For This Useful Post:

Milt (05-15-2014),nesogra (05-16-2014)

NinjaPikmin is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• NinjaPikmin's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Nimble Nicholas Newton
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Quest Mooshu Ship
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries

I love it when revenue and profit are used properly

This is kind of related, but do you have any idea of the criteria that GGG correspond with? It would be essential to having a general idea of how we should maximize. I'm still not sure exactly what is meant by "beginning," "middle," and "end".

If it refers to health bar color, Guile would be clearly favored followed by Grit and Guts. If they are evenly distributed by health, one would have to be very slightly favored.

Going by length of match would be erroneous on their part (But it would still be a possibility) as it would not leave room for eventual growth of the system without intervention. Depending on how they place the transitions, Guts would be the best in the present while Grit would be greater as a future investment. They would also need to be able to make assumptions towards the prime cut off points in regards to turn limits for each G, and it is unlikely they have done so effectively with the limited testing time available.
    Last edited by NinjaPikmin; 05-15-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Row4n is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• Row4n's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Charles
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Mellow

Great Guide, Milt.
    It seems to me that since Guts affects cheering when my pet's health is green (100% to 75%), Guile does when it's yellow (74% to 25%), and Grit when it's red (24% to 1%); Guile would help for double the health span that either of the other two do. Also, Guts seems to be slightly more beneficial than Grit, because high guts would get my pet able to cast a power before any of the dogs in the fight have been defeated.
    If I were to concentrate on just guts and guile, favoring guile I could get my coral widow to 58 Guile and 56 Guts with 3 MB jacks, 3 MB lunges and 1 MQ Flamenco Dance! That's a big advantage gained in 7 training sessions!

This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Row4n For This Useful Post:

Milt (05-24-2014)

sethowl is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Great thanks for this guide, I have been away from pirate for a while so is great to see a perspective on pet training. Am I right in thinking get the level of the pet up then start on the 3Gs?

Again Thanks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sethowl For This Useful Post:

Milt (06-21-2014)

Milt is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• Milt's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dante Tolliver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Alienated

Quote Originally Posted by sethowl View Post
    Great thanks for this guide, I have been away from pirate for a while so is great to see a perspective on pet training. Am I right in thinking get the level of the pet up then start on the 3Gs?

Again Thanks.
    Sounds goods to me; that way, you'll have access to all of the pet activities.
    Dante Tolliver, Buccaneer (65) | Henri Devereaux, Swashbuckler (65) | Marcus Laverne, Musketeer (65)
    Dandy Sam Creighton, Witchdoctor (65) | Tyler Paisley, Privateer (65)

SamSkysailor is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• SamSkysailor's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Salty Sam Sawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilian Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cool

Great guide, Milt!
    Now I can get the pvp pet of my dreams!.. I think.
    Salty Sam Sawkins​

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SamSkysailor For This Useful Post:

Milt (06-21-2014)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

This is a great guide, but I have to point out that your revenue and expenses section has a flaw in it. You say that the Cable Springs activity only has a profit of 1 but the Marleybone activities have a profit of 4, which is true, but if you take the relative revenues and expenses you will find that both activities are identical. If you do the Cable Springs activity four times you will get the same result as doing one Lunges: revenue of 20 and expense of 16. In fact, all the guts/guile/grits activities are the same.
    So, you need to look at other factors for cost.
    Time
    Time is identical across all activities: 1 minute per point gained. The difference is the time that you have to spend finishing and then restarting the activities. This means the Marleybone activities are slightly more time efficient.
    Pet Gear
    Marleybone activities cost 3 pieces of gear, Mooshu costs 2, Monquista costs 1, and Skull Island gives 1 piece. That means you would gain 4 pieces compared to costing 3 pieces. But since the ony use for that particular pet gear is the higher world guts/guile/grits activities, there isn't a huge need to worry about it.
    Power
    This is the main cost. The activities all cost 9 power. So 4 Skull Islands will be 36 power to get the same as one Marleybone at 9 power.

The rest of the guide is spot on. Good job.