Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    AlphaWolf83's Avatar
       AlphaWolf83 is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

    • AlphaWolf83's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Fiery Courtney
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    18
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Gold
    64
    Bored

    Buccaneer Like A Pro In Quite a Few Steps (Part One)

    So, you want to be a successful buccaneer? Here's a guide to get you started, but first, you need to know the class rundown.

    Epics:
    Bladestorm Three - This power was quite radically improved by the recent update, now you get a full power "glancing blow" on every critical OR kill.

    Vengeance Strike Three - Slaughter melee enemies in large amounts with this beast. Any hit with this has a chance of removing all epics from the victim for a round.

    Hold the Line Three - Annoying swashbucklers keep dodging you? Install this beauty to half their dodge for a round, with El Toro's buff and Bonnie's dodge reducing thing, (Forgot the name) and it'll be nothing but hits on them for you.

    Turn the Tide Two - Quite a underrated power, it functions as a permanent buff; provided that you meet the requirements, of course.

    Talents:
    Having gotten the maximum amount of training points possible, my talents are as follows.
    Naturally Tough
    Light Armor
    Big Choppy Weapons
    Spooky Two
    Rough Two
    Heavy Armor
    Resistant Two
    Stabby Weapons Two
    Slashy Weapons Two
    Fast Two
    Accurate Two
    Dodgy Two
    Armored Three
    Elusive Two
    Tough Three
    Smashy Weapons Three
    Pirate Three
    Loud Three

    Gear:
    This gear takes quite a bit of farming, but the most prepared pirate has the best odds.
    Hat - Defense Minister's Tarleton - gives Revive
    Outfit - Mifune's Gosuko - gives Assassin's Strike
    Boots - Boots of the Valiant - gives Great Juju
    Weapon - Friar Sand's Unyielding Hirigana against Musketeers, Axe of the Minotaur Lords against everyone else
    Eyepatch - Schemer's Eyepatch - gives Assassin's Strike
    Totem - Friar Sand's Gourd - gives Leviathan's Call
    Charm - Ki-Rin of the West - gives Valor's Fortress
    Ring - Ring of Lord Walsingham - gives Assassin's Mist

    Companions and Strategy to come in later parts!
    Last edited by AlphaWolf83; 08-30-2014 at 08:54 PM.
    Wolf.
    Witchdoctor.
    Wizard.








  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    258
    PvP Tournaments Won
    3
    Thanks
    35
    Thanks (Received)
    154
    Gold
    327

    Re: Buccaneer Like A Pro In Quite a Few Steps (Part One)

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf83 View Post
    So, you want to be a successful buccaneer? Here's a guide to get you started, but first, you need to know the class rundown.

    Epics:
    Bladestorm Three - This power was quite radically improved by the recent update, now you get a full power "glancing blow" on every critical OR kill.
    I'd never refer to Bladestorm as "glancing blow", glancing blow does significantly less damage then Bladestorm.

    Vengeance Strike Three - Slaughter melee enemies in large amounts with this beast. Any hit with this has a chance of removing all epics from the victim for a round.
    I see Vengeance Strike as a weakness frankly vs enemies who simply have high(er) dodge. Although it does stun a target at Rank 3, which is much of a benefit.

    Hold the Line Three - Annoying swashbucklers keep dodging you? Install this beauty to half their dodge for a round, with El Toro's buff and Bonnie's dodge reducing thing, (Forgot the name) and it'll be nothing but hits on them for you.
    Most Swashbucklers just avoid the Buck in sight so they don't get immobilized and 50% of their dodge to be reduced. It is helpful for when battles come down to unit vs unit, if its melee of course. Other then that its a nice talent to have defenity and Bonnie's reduce dodge power is known as "Scatterblast".

    Turn the Tide Two - Quite a underrated power, it functions as a permanent buff; provided that you meet the requirements, of course.
    Underrated power? I'd beg a differ, its a main Bucks are known for. Turn the Tide isn't a permanent buff, nor is it a buff it's a talent, activates once your unit is under half health and grants 25% Accuracy and 25% Weapon Power.

    Gear:
    This gear takes quite a bit of farming, but the most prepared pirate has the best odds.
    Hat - Defense Minister's Tarleton - gives Revive
    Outfit - Mifune's Gosuko - gives Assassin's Strike
    Boots - Boots of the Valiant - gives Great Juju
    Weapon - Friar Sand's Unyielding Hirigana against Musketeers, Axe of the Minotaur Lords against everyone else
    Eyepatch - Schemer's Eyepatch - gives Assassin's Strike
    Totem - Friar Sand's Gourd - gives Leviathan's Call
    Charm - Ki-Rin of the West - gives Valor's Fortress
    Ring - Ring of Lord Walsingham - gives Assassin's Mist

    I'd personally suggest this gear:
    Helm- Oishi's Great Helm (Grants Assassin Strike)
    Dropped by Monkey King
    Robe- The Arms of the Valiant (Grants Assassin Strike) Dropped by Bishop/Underdog
    Boots- Boots of Sprinting (Grants Vicious Charge)
    Dropped by Friar
    Weapon- Axe of Minotaur Lords (Grants Follow Through Rank 1)
    Dropped by the Minotaur Brothers in Labyrinth
    Eyepatch- Schemer's Eyepatch (Grants Assassins Strike)
    Dropped by Tyler/Black Jean/Rooke
    Totem- Bloody Charm (Grants Assassin Strike) Dropped by Water Guardian/Lo Pan etc.
    Charm- Special Branch Badge (Grants Valor Fortress) Dropped by Tyler/Black Jean/Rooke
    Ring- Ring of the 47 (Grants Valor Fortress)
    Dropped by StormZilla/Jinzurburno
    Comments in bold, just a few opinions and suggestions.
    Last edited by MissSierra; 08-31-2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Corrections and adding additional info.




  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissSierra For This Useful Post:

    AlphaWolf83 (08-31-2014),IssacNewton (08-31-2014)


  4. #3
    King6510's Avatar
       King6510 is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

    • King6510's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Golden Chris Silver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilian Galleon
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    679
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    281
    Thanks (Received)
    277
    Gold
    718
    Paranoid

    Re: Buccaneer Like A Pro In Quite a Few Steps (Part One)

    Against swashbucklers, sometimes first strike activates vengeance, dealing 75% damage each! and riposte dealing way more damage. My El Toro, riposte2, relentless, and a first strike took down a full health buccaneer with Espirit and ravens cry. So I wouldn't call vengeance a full beast.

    -GoldenChrisSilver Level70W GoldenChrisSilver Level70B GoldenChrisSilver Level70SGoldenChristinaSilver Level70P GoldenChristinaSilver Level25M



  5. #4
    AlphaWolf83's Avatar
       AlphaWolf83 is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

    • AlphaWolf83's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Fiery Courtney
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    18
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Gold
    64
    Bored

    Re: Buccaneer Like A Pro In Quite a Few Steps (Part One)

    Quote Originally Posted by MissSierra View Post
    Comments in bold, just a few opinions and suggestions.
    Note that I called Bladestorm a full power glancing blow.

    Vengeance Strike 3 a weakness!? I find it hard to believe, since one successful hit on anyone has a chance of preventing any further hits from that player/companion.

    Hold the line; nothing to say here.

    Turn the tide; Most buccaneers are known for their reckless frenzy and vengeance strike, not their turn the tide. Plus, I said it functions as a permanent buff, not is one.

    Gear:
    A. You have no good way to heal.
    B. According to central rules you may only have one Valor's fortress in your gear, and two Leviathan's Calls. I meant for this to be a multipurpose guide, not just one for noncentral tournaments.
    C. How will you buff up your non-buccaneer companions?

    Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by AlphaWolf83; 08-31-2014 at 06:12 AM.
    Wolf.
    Witchdoctor.
    Wizard.






  6. #5
    IssacNewton's Avatar
       IssacNewton is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    99
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    52
    Thanks (Received)
    100
    Gold
    46

    Re: Buccaneer Like A Pro In Quite a Few Steps (Part One)

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf83 View Post
    Note that I called Bladestorm a full power glancing blow.

    Vengeance Strike 3 a weakness!? I find it hard to believe, since one successful hit on anyone has a chance of preventing any further hits from that player/companion.

    Hold the line; nothing to say here.

    Turn the tide; Most buccaneers are known for their reckless frenzy and vengeance strike, not their turn the tide. Plus, I said it functions as a permanent buff, not is one.


    Gear:
    A. You have no good way to heal.
    B. According to central rules you may only have one Valor's fortress in your gear, and two Leviathan's Calls. I meant for this to be a multipurpose guide, not just one for noncentral tournaments.
    C. How will you buff up your non-buccaneer companions?

    Thanks for the feedback!
    Might I ask, is your "suggested" gear your farmed gear? It seems eclectic; it works, but might need more offensive power, such as assassin's strkes.

    Turn the tide is *currently* what makes buccaneers so scary. Reckless frenzy is last resort; smart people either spread out or place swashbuckler companions (El Toro, the multipurpose sb companion) near their muskets. Not to mention buccaneers almost need turn the tide to use reckless frenzy due to its 25% accuracy boost; you'd risk wasting the power if you don't wait for turn the tide. And, with MissSierra's build, you get a ridiculous amount of damage with all those assassin's; it's currently the best you can get.

    If you're using buccaneer just for reckless and vengeance, you're seriously missing out on the class's big strengths. Also, high dodge counters both reckless and vengeance, and with Toro buff and you not having turn the tide, you will alway lose the damage trade. Vengeance strike does not out-damage first strike-riposte which is so prevalent across average swashbuckler companions. So, really consider turn the tide and charge moves to be some of the icons of buccaneer. Reckless and vengeance are too situational now that everyone knows their counters.

    You can just replace a fortress with a revive; that is much much better in terms of overall performance. I'm not scared of your build, since you're assuming you can hit everything and others will come straight at you, in which case you fortress -revive and reckless frenzy. And, great juju isn't that great now its 3 turns; its basically 2 turns, and by the time you use it, any smart opponent will start backing off before they regroup after juju is gone, since almost every buff in the game lasts longer than juju.

    However, this guide will soon be outdated anyways; any chance to make a new guide for the tower gear?
    Last edited by IssacNewton; 08-31-2014 at 09:55 AM.



  7. #6
    AlphaWolf83's Avatar
       AlphaWolf83 is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

    • AlphaWolf83's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Fiery Courtney
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    18
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Gold
    64
    Bored

    Re: Buccaneer Like A Pro In Quite a Few Steps (Part One)

    Once I get a good clear picture of the Tower, I'll be sure to make a guide on it, but in the meantime...
    In PvP, Swashbucklers actually do charge straight at me, activating Hold the Line. A great bonus of Hold the Line is that it activates even on hidden enemies, so that's probably the reason they charge (they don't know the hidden thing) With the dodge debuff and El Toro's buff, I actually do hit things, such as Swashbucklers. All it takes is one lucky Vengeance Strike to prevent future Ripostes, which is one of the reasons this build works for me. Turn the Tide some don't notice, even if it is a great part of the Bucc class, which is the reason why I said it's not what we're known for.​ Does that clarify?
    Wolf.
    Witchdoctor.
    Wizard.






  8. #7
    IssacNewton's Avatar
       IssacNewton is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    99
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    52
    Thanks (Received)
    100
    Gold
    46

    Re: Buccaneer Like A Pro In Quite a Few Steps (Part One)

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf83 View Post
    Once I get a good clear picture of the Tower, I'll be sure to make a guide on it, but in the meantime...
    In PvP, Swashbucklers actually do charge straight at me, activating Hold the Line. A great bonus of Hold the Line is that it activates even on hidden enemies, so that's probably the reason they charge (they don't know the hidden thing) With the dodge debuff and El Toro's buff, I actually do hit things, such as Swashbucklers. All it takes is one lucky Vengeance Strike to prevent future Ripostes, which is one of the reasons this build works for me. Turn the Tide some don't notice, even if it is a great part of the Bucc class, which is the reason why I said it's not what we're known for.​ Does that clarify?
    I clearly remember hold the line not affecting hidden units... if anyone can prove either way that would be helpful.

    If a swashbuckler is *dumb* enough to charge at a buccaneer, yes, your build does cripple his build; automatic buccaneer win. But most of the time, swashbucklers sit back and let buccaneers charge them, using anti-charge Ratbeard. That's what I do vs. buccaneers. Then, hide and let your hidden companions hit the main buccaneer if he has no defense bonuses, or his companions if he has defense bonuses. All the while you set up to tackle the buccaneer main.

    I notice turn the tide quite well, maybe because I'm on the receiving end of it. Many buccaneers charge at you, and when you wittle them to half health, they start assassin's strike on you; it hurts, especially if they go walk in darkness first; that's 7.5x damage without bleed, plus they get follow through on stuff. The damage is very noticeable; but I agree people may neglect to look at turn the tide.
    Last edited by IssacNewton; 08-31-2014 at 11:22 AM.



  9. #8
    AlphaWolf83's Avatar
       AlphaWolf83 is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

    • AlphaWolf83's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Fiery Courtney
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    18
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    6
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Gold
    64
    Bored

    Re: Buccaneer Like A Pro In Quite a Few Steps (Part One)

    Quote Originally Posted by IssacNewton View Post
    I clearly remember hold the line not affecting hidden units... if anyone can prove either way that would be helpful.

    If a swashbuckler is *dumb* enough to charge at a buccaneer, yes, your build does cripple his build; automatic buccaneer win. But most of the time, swashbucklers sit back and let buccaneers charge them, using anti-charge Ratbeard. That's what I do vs. buccaneers. Then, hide and let your hidden companions hit the main buccaneer if he has no defense bonuses, or his companions if he has defense bonuses. All the while you set up to tackle the buccaneer main.

    I notice turn the tide quite well, maybe because I'm on the receiving end of it. Many buccaneers charge at you, and when you wittle them to half health, they start assassin's strike on you; it hurts, especially if they go walk in darkness first; that's 7.5x damage without bleed, plus they get follow through on stuff. The damage is very noticeable; but I agree people may neglect to look at turn the tide.
    Oddly enough, I have never seen a Swashy using Ratbeard.
    Wolf.
    Witchdoctor.
    Wizard.






  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    258
    PvP Tournaments Won
    3
    Thanks
    35
    Thanks (Received)
    154
    Gold
    327

    Re: Buccaneer Like A Pro In Quite a Few Steps (Part One)

    Quote Originally Posted by IssacNewton View Post
    I clearly remember hold the line not affecting hidden units... if anyone can prove either way that would be helpful.
    If a unit is hidden Hold the Line does not affect that person in the slightest manner. Proof? Well, you can say I've slid past quiet a few Buck's while hidden in the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf83 View Post
    Note that I called Bladestorm a full power glancing blow.
    Very well, I still frankly wouldn't refer to it as so, just an extra attack or as it is Bladestorm.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf83 View Post
    Vengeance Strike 3 a weakness!? I find it hard to believe, since one successful hit on anyone has a chance of preventing any further hits from that player/companion.
    Of what I've seen from my past experiences, yes vengeance CAN be a weakness for Bucks without a doubt, if stun activates wonderful.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf83 View Post
    Turn the tide; Most buccaneers are known for their reckless frenzy and vengeance strike, not their turn the tide. Plus, I said it functions as a permanent buff, not is one.
    Sure its not an all-time known demand but anyone who plans on taking PvP into consideration they need to remember how much Turn the Tide is a benefit towards Bucks, therefore makes this power well known.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf83 View Post
    Gear:
    A. You have no good way to heal.
    B. According to central rules you may only have one Valor's fortress in your gear, and two Leviathan's Calls. I meant for this to be a multipurpose guide, not just one for noncentral tournaments.
    C. How will you buff up your non-buccaneer companions?
    1. The whole point in the build is for damage automatically, no need for heals. Goronado, Peter Quint and Barnabus charged at your unit once you're buffed up with protection and strength buffs.

    2. Yes of course CENTRAL rules are one fortress, but I meant outside of Central Ladders/Tournaments.

    3. I hardly ever use non-buck companions, the whole purpose of my buck is 1v1, not group matches. Besides, in group matches basically everyone uses Goro so strength buffs do come handy. JuJu is pointless in my eyes, with the exception of Witch Drs, since your companions have to be surrounding you, unlike most people who spread their companions apart or behind pillars while they get ready to charge.
    Last edited by MissSierra; 08-31-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Adding extra quote.




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •