Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Story Integrity

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Story Integrity

Concerns were raised on the official forum about the phrase "end of the first arc" that was present in the newsletter and about the overall content and timetable of the main story changing. This fear was further aggrandized in my mind when reading the test realm update notes, when it said something to the effect of "confront Kane and end his tyranny". This sounds like we're defeating him for good, which is in direct conflict with the story plan Sam Johnson (Blind Mew) had tentatively laid out that had the El Dorado storyline at 20 Books and the Armada around for 20 if not more.

I myself do not have access to test and will not for the foreseeable future, and the final battle of Valencia II (presumably the final Kane fight if there was going to be one) will not be on test (I suppose so they can save the surprise?), but can anyone who's as obsessed with the story as I am (or really anyone) confirm if the story seems to be setting up for a complete topple of Kane and the Armada, or if it looks like it's gonna stay Blind Mew's course?

Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanthedestroyer For This Useful Post:

DarkFire054 (05-21-2016),Zenobia Paisley (05-22-2016)

thecannibalpizza is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Inspired

Re: Story Integrity

From playing in the test realm it really does feel like we are going to be putting an end to soon (we wont know until live realm because the fight isn't in the test realm)
    This is the end of the first arc, but that doesn't mean we will necessarily be done with Kane or the armada. Our pirates have been captured once before, so it isn't impossible for us to be defeated by Kane and have us thrown back into prison. That ends the story arc, and the armada is still at large.

All we are, are little specs of dust, living on a grain of sand, floating in a sea of pebbles.
    ~ ending line to the short story, What We Are.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thecannibalpizza For This Useful Post:

DarkFire054 (05-21-2016),kanthedestroyer (05-20-2016),pops (05-20-2016)

Elemutation is offline Rookie

• Elemutation's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Fearless Ryan Holystone
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Haunted Galleon lv65
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

I've only gotten so far, but (SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS) You physically meet Kane pretty early on, and the only thing keeping you from tearing each other apart is basically a scolding, and Kane just backs off like an angry dog on a short leash. You also meet somewhat of a pseudo-elite named Typhoon, who is basically Rooke 2.0, which kinda makes Rooke's downfall have no consequence. So far it's either setting up for a continuation where the story will shift into another arc with the Clockworks still being the main antagonists, or it will have a very anticlimactic end. Either way, it's noticeably less nuanced as Mew's work, and Kane was somewhat of a disappointment. Also, for test, A puppet show was cut out for some reason (not a bug, it was intentional), which implies a fair amount of world building that we just missed. Finally, because the final battle isn't out yet, It's hard to say whether this is the end of Kane or not. Still have some story to go.

Character Profiles
    “No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.”
    ― Alan Moore, Watchmen

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elemutation For This Useful Post:

kanthedestroyer (05-20-2016),mastermind706 (05-22-2016)

Swordroll is offline Deckhand
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Yes, I had brought that up on the main forums. While we haven't done the final battle yet, it looks like we're finishing off the Armada. The Test Realm has a lot left to finish. None of the gear has proper icons, most aren't assigned drop locations yet, there's no unique gear, etc. Then half the islands in the skyway, including one that was finished before the game was even released, are not used at all. It's quite short for a conclusion.

This simply shouldn't be the end of the Armada. Even if this update weren't rushed, it would still be way too early. We're just meeting some of these clockworks. We're still getting an idea of what Kane's plan is. We know nothing of the Grand Design. Ultimately, for Pirate101 to be successful, we need to see a major story shift back to what the original plan was - with several worlds left before the end. My guess? We're also not going to El Dorado. We need to let Pirate101 know here, on the main boards, and via the reporter in-game that this is not what we want.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Swordroll For This Useful Post:

axel125 (05-22-2016),bestbrigain (05-21-2016),DarkFire054 (05-21-2016),El Capitano (05-23-2016),Eric Stormbringer (05-20-2016),helena (05-21-2016),ianthebalance (05-20-2016),kanthedestroyer (05-20-2016),Memoriam (05-26-2016),SKyhighforever102 (05-20-2016),Storyhunter101 (05-21-2016),Zenobia Paisley (05-22-2016)

•  Pirate's Name:
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Haunted Galleon lv65
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Swordroll View Post
    This simply shouldn't be the end of the Armada. Even if this update weren't rushed, it would still be way too early. We're just meeting some of these clockworks. We're still getting an idea of what Kane's plan is. We know nothing of the Grand Design. Ultimately, for Pirate101 to be successful, we need to see a major story shift back to what the original plan was - with several worlds left before the end. My guess? We're also not going to El Dorado. We need to let Pirate101 know here, on the main boards, and via the reporter in-game that this is not what we want.
    I was saying that this wasn't going to be what we wanted, expected, or deserved after three years of waiting. Back then complaining to KI was considered to be wrong because we should've given them the benefit of the doubt, etc, but now I'm pretty sure that my assumptions have been confirmed, KI has some serious explaining to do. The lackluster story combined with the lack of new assets, lack of new game content, and overall disappointment really needs to be addressed, otherwise I fear that this could spell the end for the game as a whole.

Character Profiles
    ― Alan Moore, Watchmen

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elemutation For This Useful Post:

DarkFire054 (05-21-2016),El Capitano (05-23-2016),kanthedestroyer (05-20-2016)

musketeer12234 is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Elemutation View Post
    I was saying that this wasn't going to be what we wanted, expected, or deserved after three years of waiting. Back then complaining to KI was considered to be wrong because we should've given them the benefit of the doubt, etc, but now I'm pretty sure that my assumptions have been confirmed, KI has some serious explaining to do. The lackluster story combined with the lack of new assets, lack of new game content, and overall disappointment really needs to be addressed, otherwise I fear that this could spell the end for the game as a whole.
    Explanation: They laid off 80 of their staff, some I'm pretty sure played an important role to the game mechanics and story.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to musketeer12234 For This Useful Post:

bestbrigain (05-21-2016)

musketeer12234 is offline Deckhand
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Elemutation View Post
    Probably a terrible idea on their part to lay off 80 of the staff, who I assume most played an important part to the game mechanics and story. Is that right?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to musketeer12234 For This Useful Post:

bestbrigain (05-21-2016),DarkFire054 (05-21-2016)

Silver Angel is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Silver Angel's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Silver Angel Holystone
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Mooshu Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by musketeer12234 View Post
    Explanation: They laid off 80 of their staff, some I'm pretty sure played an important role to the game mechanics and story.
    That's recent, I'm pretty sure Valencia 2 story was done before that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Angel For This Useful Post:

DarkFire054 (05-21-2016)

•  Pirate's Name:
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Haunted Galleon lv65
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Daedrin View Post
    That's recent, I'm pretty sure Valencia 2 story was done before that.
    Exactly... what happened during the other 2.5 years? Before the team was merged? They had a good two years where there were they were their own dev team, and it doesn't look like they even had six months with this update.

Character Profiles
    ― Alan Moore, Watchmen

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Elemutation For This Useful Post:

kanthedestroyer (05-20-2016)

Noble is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

This update is definitely... lackluster, to say the least. The lack of new assets (ships and gear especially), coupled with the short length (took me less than 2 hours to finish the first chapter) and horrible frame drops/optimization (which I, as well as multiple people I played with, have experienced) are not a good sign. But neither is the fact that the Wiz and Pirate team had a merger last year, the huge focus on mobile games, severe lack of player base, and the recent layoff of 80 people at KI.

I honestly think they're shutting this game down soon, and the fact that they decided to end it here (rather than the 20th book like originally intended) tells me that. It became apparent last year when, in the producer's letter, it was admitted that there wasn't much progress on Book 15, and that they weren't sure on where to take it.

Here's my theory;
    I think they were ambitious with this game at the start. The Marleybone/Aquila update is good proof of that. But after that, the numbers declined. They had to shift their focus on improving the game with the pet update. And when that failed, they realized that they couldn't focus on the game as much, due to it being a sinking ship. So, instead on spending resources on 6 more long, and high quality books, they had to restructure the story so it could end as quick as possible. Maybe that's why we haven't seen Blind Mew on the message boards in 2 years.

I'm sorry for being so pessimistic, but this is honestly what I think and how I feel. I don't think we'll ever sail to El Dorado.

But on the bright side, the story, music, and voice acting for Book 15 are all very good IMO.

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Noble For This Useful Post:

Alex Deathflame (05-20-2016),axel125 (05-20-2016),DarkFire054 (05-21-2016),El Capitano (05-23-2016),ianthebalance (05-20-2016),kanthedestroyer (05-20-2016),Memoriam (05-26-2016),Milt (05-22-2016),ProfessorSuze (05-21-2016),Toa of Gallifrey (05-22-2016),Zenobia Paisley (05-22-2016)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast