Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Companion Tasks - Sailin'

Sailin' is the task where your companions will return with additional Nautical experience for your pirate. Here are some tips and ideas for gaining the most advantage you can, (and be sure to go into your Options and turn on the Restart Tasks):

1. Beginning at Level 8, you can send an unlimited (well, limited by the size of your crew) number of companions on this task. Each additional companion will take slightly longer, and as they gain in levels, they will return more nautical xp and the timer will get longer and longer.

For example: At Level 8, each companion will return 18 nautical experience after about 10 minutes for the first companion. At Level 9, the nautical experience rises to 27, level 10 yields 36, and so on.

Each additional companion sent Sailin' will have a timer that is about 20% longer for the first few companions, and even longer for additional companions:

For example: At Level 8, the first timer will be 10 minutes, the second companion will finish in about 12 minutes, the third about 14 minutes, the fourth about 16 minutes, and the fifth companion's timer won't end until almost half an hour later. At higher levels, if you send too many companions Sailin' the last few won't return for a day or more. Boochbeard will popup and remind you that too many companions on the same task isn't necessarily a good idea.

2. The Cannoneer ability adds 10% more experience. All companions can train the first level of Cannoneer, but Musketeers can train an additional 2 levels -- Rank 2 for 15%, and Rank 3 for 25%. This means that your idle Musketeers can be your pirate's best source of non-ship-battle Nautical Experience.

Having multiple Pirates on your account allows you to gain valuable Nautical Experience on the pirates you aren't questing on, by using the Sailin' task wisely. When you login regularly and collect all that experience from the idle pirates' crews, those pirates will be nicely nautically-prepared when you go back to questing on them.

Is there anything I've missed about using Sailin? Please add your thoughts.

Thanks, @Ravino, for reminding us that there is a limit to the experience that can be gained -- a pirate can only gain one Nautical Level above his normal experience level via Sailin' -- once that level is exceeded, those companions still on the task will continue, but will not Restart their task, and no new companions can be assigned to Sailin' until the pirate levels up again. Once a pirate has completely maxed the nautical levels (Level 70 currently), no more Sailin' at all for the crew.

Last edited by Willowdreamer; 03-19-2017 at 05:54 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (04-13-2021)

Avery Court Grace is offline Boatswain
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Woot

Re: Companion Tasks - Sailin'

Great information. I find sailing is a great way to keep my nautical up while i quest. That way I dont fall to far behind.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avery Court Grace For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (04-13-2021),Willowdreamer (03-19-2017)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

I think it's worth mentioning that there's a limit of N-lvl that Sailin' will allow you to reach... after being a certain amount of levels ahead of your pirate lvl, the player will no longer be able to assign companions to this task under the claim "You cannot gain any more Nautical experience!".

From what I've observed in my characters, it seems we can go 1 N-lvl ahead of our pirate's... unless you're on the current lvl cap where it also won't allow you to assign. Though I believe there's a glitch with the Restart Tasks function enabling to continue performing the assignment for some time or possibly definitely on lower lvls (I know maxed players couldn't reach much doing this)... no idea if this has ever been fixed.

Just tasked a little pirate's comps to this (gosh, did I really never assign them here?!?), hopefully I get some clearer idea or verification picture!

~R

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ravino For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (04-13-2021),Willowdreamer (03-19-2017)

Cinders is offline Deckhand
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Bookworm

One small trick that I have found useful is to assign your higher-level companions the task first, and work your way down until you reach your lowest-level companion. If you assign lower-level companions the task first, it will extend the timers for your higher-level companions.

Assigning your higher level companions the task first allows for higher yields in a shorter amount of time. It also prevents the timers from extending into days.
    An empty stream, a great silence, an impenetrable forest .....

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinders For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (04-13-2021),Willowdreamer (03-20-2017)

Allison DeathWielder is offline Land Lubber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Bored

This thread could not have come at a more perfect time. I was just looking for more clarification on this mechanic, since I've been using Sailin' a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Concordia View Post
    One small trick that I have found useful is to assign your higher-level companions the task first, and work your way down until you reach your lowest-level companion. If you assign lower-level companions the task first, it will extend the timers for your higher-level companions.

Assigning your higher level companions the task first allows for higher yields in a shorter amount of time. It also prevents the timers from extending into days.
    This is essentially what I've been doing. So far at level 42, the timers only ever go up to 15 hours, but with 28 levels still to go I expect that they'll reach the 24 hour mark eventually.

It works for me, though, because I frequently take breaks of a couple days at a time, meaning I can just set all my companions to gain nautical for me, check it each morning (although not questing) and when I come back my nautical will be as high as possible. Doing this, I haven't had to manually grind nautical at any level yet.
    Last edited by Allison DeathWielder; 03-21-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    ‚Äč

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allison DeathWielder For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (04-13-2021),Willowdreamer (03-21-2017)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

This has to be the most-used of the Companion Tasks available, but honestly I almost never do. I prefer sinking ships.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (04-13-2021)

Kingurz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

With the increase in nautical xp for the revamped system, I wonder if this is one of the last orders to be issued behind the others for new players?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingurz For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (04-14-2021)