PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Lurking

Why do ships go invisible?

I know this is a pretty noob question and it was probably asked before.

But I have an issue sometimes on my swashbuckler where ships almost die, and then they go invisible and heal up to full health.
    I've noticed this happening a few times, but I don't think it was ever explained. I didn't leave the battle at all - but I do tend to "run away" sometimes when I'm getting low on health, but I make sure to stay targetted - maybe that could be it? And I'm not as engaged in battle as I think I am, so the ship thinks I'm done trying and gave up?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (06-15-2021)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Happy

Re: Why do ships go invisible?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    I know this is a pretty noob question and it was probably asked before.

But I have an issue sometimes on my swashbuckler where ships almost die, and then they go invisible and heal up to full health.
    I've noticed this happening a few times, but I don't think it was ever explained. I didn't leave the battle at all - but I do tend to "run away" sometimes when I'm getting low on health, but I make sure to stay targetted - maybe that could be it? And I'm not as engaged in battle as I think I am, so the ship thinks I'm done trying and gave up?
    If your ship moved too far away from where you initiated contact with the enemy ship, this can happen. The enemy ships have a set patrol "orbit" and they can't stray too far from it. When you "run away" try not to move too far in a straight line, watch your targeting go from red to orange to grey. You can go to grey for a second or two, but try to bounce back into orange to stay engaged.

One strategy I use is to circle the engaged enemy ship as my health gets low, because they can't back up like we can, they have to turn, and you can stay to their rear as you go around waiting to use your heal or sink them. If they get too close, they'll board, so it takes a bit of practice.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (06-30-2021),Tomas (06-16-2021)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    If your ship moved too far away from where you initiated contact with the enemy ship, this can happen. The enemy ships have a set patrol "orbit" and they can't stray too far from it. When you "run away" try not to move too far in a straight line, watch your targeting go from red to orange to grey. You can go to grey for a second or two, but try to bounce back into orange to stay engaged.

One strategy I use is to circle the engaged enemy ship as my health gets low, because they can't back up like we can, they have to turn, and you can stay to their rear as you go around waiting to use your heal or sink them. If they get too close, they'll board, so it takes a bit of practice.

Thank you, that explains a lot. I am so bad at ship combat and it has been so difficult. The main issue on why I run away is that it can be hard sometimes to get a ship on it's own, and then I'm being bombarded by a load of ships.

I guess maybe I go out too far for the ship to go because I try to pull it away from all the other ships, so it makes sense that I'm probably constantly pulling them out of "orbit".

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (06-30-2021)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    Thank you, that explains a lot. I am so bad at ship combat and it has been so difficult. The main issue on why I run away is that it can be hard sometimes to get a ship on it's own, and then I'm being bombarded by a load of ships.

I guess maybe I go out too far for the ship to go because I try to pull it away from all the other ships, so it makes sense that I'm probably constantly pulling them out of "orbit".
    I actually enjoy sinking ships for quests - but not all pirates share my enthusiasm for it. The player community has gotten so small and scattered that the "wolf packs" of previous years have dwindled away.

Watch any group of ships that you need to fight for a few minutes. You can usually tell if they're sailing in a group circle (like the Cutthroat Ships for the Ambassador quests, added to the windlanes after the world was created), or if they are kind of more on their own little paths within their territory, as most original-design ships are scattered among the windlanes. If they are moving in a big circle, you can see which one might be trailing behind the others in the circle and attack it after the rest pass your position. With practice you can learn how far you can draw them away from the others by practicing on this group.

If you need to fight one ship among a group, find the edges of the group. Choose a ship that is nearest the edge, but also closer to the windlane. NEVER sail into the middle of a group of ships to try to fight one, unless you have a couple of other ships helping. Circling one of the outliers is a lot easier in the larger skyways, when there isn't a lot of space, you may just have to use a Yum Potion bottle to save your ship from being boarded. Blue Yum is pretty easy to refill just outside of the Skull Island docks and into Tradewinds Skyway, or if you have gold, you can buy the refills from Ryan in the shopping area.

Another consideration is your ship's equipment. Try to have the best available equipment for your Pirate's Nautical Level and the Ship Level itself. The Bazaar has lots of good ship equipment available, but the best stuff is from sinking the Boss ships that sail in just about every skyway. Repeat sinking these boss ships for both the equipment and some Nautical xp.

If you need help, let me know. If you're a high enough level, we can go into the Pirate Regatta for some practice.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (06-30-2021),Tomas (06-16-2021)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    I actually enjoy sinking ships for quests - but not all pirates share my enthusiasm for it. The player community has gotten so small and scattered that the "wolf packs" of previous years have dwindled away.

Watch any group of ships that you need to fight for a few minutes. You can usually tell if they're sailing in a group circle (like the Cutthroat Ships for the Ambassador quests, added to the windlanes after the world was created), or if they are kind of more on their own little paths within their territory, as most original-design ships are scattered among the windlanes. If they are moving in a big circle, you can see which one might be trailing behind the others in the circle and attack it after the rest pass your position. With practice you can learn how far you can draw them away from the others by practicing on this group.

If you need to fight one ship among a group, find the edges of the group. Choose a ship that is nearest the edge, but also closer to the windlane. NEVER sail into the middle of a group of ships to try to fight one, unless you have a couple of other ships helping. Circling one of the outliers is a lot easier in the larger skyways, when there isn't a lot of space, you may just have to use a Yum Potion bottle to save your ship from being boarded. Blue Yum is pretty easy to refill just outside of the Skull Island docks and into Tradewinds Skyway, or if you have gold, you can buy the refills from Ryan in the shopping area.

Another consideration is your ship's equipment. Try to have the best available equipment for your Pirate's Nautical Level and the Ship Level itself. The Bazaar has lots of good ship equipment available, but the best stuff is from sinking the Boss ships that sail in just about every skyway. Repeat sinking these boss ships for both the equipment and some Nautical xp.

If you need help, let me know. If you're a high enough level, we can go into the Pirate Regatta for some practice.

Thank you very much, that was very helpful.

I enjoy ship combat, I'm just bad at it. I think I need to spend more time farming ship xp rather than just jumping ahead. I'm moving into mooshu on my swashbuckler and the ships are almost double my nautical level at the moment. I'm training companions but I don't check on them often enough for it to be worth it. I usually just log off when I'm at a ship combat because I know it'll be extremely difficult.

I think I'll just need more farming and more practice. I'm very bad at trying to speed through the story but really I end up slowing myself down because I'm at such a disadvantage in ship combat. I'm probably not very smart that way.

And thank you for the offer of help - I'm so sporadic about my log in times and can't commit to anything, but if I'm still struggling after all your advice I'll let you know if that's ok. I wonder if there's ship combat guides as helpful as your post somewhere.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (06-30-2021),Willowdreamer (06-16-2021)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Happy

Yeah, not maintaining your Nautical level is probably the crux of your problem. So many players do that, you should not feel like you're the only one. The game gives plenty of side quests that reward pirates with Nautical xp, but again - skipping those in favor of running just the story quests is where many get into trouble. What I used to do (in addition to side quests) was sink extra ships every time I had a quest to do so, getting to that next level of Nautical. I was actually over-leveled on many of my pirates as they advanced to the next world. Now, with the reduced nautical xp requirements, it should be pretty easy to get yourself caught up. Enemies are so much easier to fight when they are your level or lower.

We have a whole section of ship guides - here is one about combat:

http://www.pirate101central.com/foru...to-Ship-Combat

Good Luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (06-30-2021)